Saturday, August 4, 2012

July 2012-Lamar, CO

Our next stop was in my hometown, Lamar, CO.  Usually this stop would not warrant a post, except for this time we were there 1 1/2 days and actually had things happen that I feel I should post about. 

We arrived into town and our first step was Wal-mart.  Now, for those not from my town, this may seem odd, BUT for those of us who have left and come back, it is perfectly natural.  We stop there first because we have to buy the amount of water we need for the duration of our stay.  The tap water there comes out SO white and cloudy that you can not see through the glass.  Really gross.  Supposedly the restaurants and hotels are filtered...BUT we like to be cautious.

Enough of water.  We got to town, bought water and a for sale sign, checked into the motel, went and ate dinner at BJ's (only the best place ever!!!!), then went and posted the sign at our final property in Colorado.  By this time it was about 6:30 PM.   I took RJ and Dale back to the motel and headed out to the bar...yes, I know..scary...  In reality it was my 10 year class reunion and that is where they decided to meet for the first night's events.  I had all but talked myself out of going because of the bar, but after the fact, I was so excited that I went.  There were so many people there that I hadn't seen since the day I graduated.  Some of them that was intentional (stories for another post) and others not so much, but regardless it was fun to talk and catch up.  When people started getting drunk, I left and went to the hotel to sleep.

The next day was Saturday.  It was a come and go day for me between the class reunion events.  I actually kind of felt bad for RJ and Dale.  I knew that this portion of the trip would be boring for them.  Anyway, I woke up and ran 10 miles in my home town.  THAT for me is impressive.  When I left home, I could barely run a mile and it definitely was not an enjoyable mile either.  I really like that time running and used it to think about my life and the lives of those people I saw the previous night.  It was incredible for me to think about those that had changed and those that hadn't changed...and more importantly the events and growth that I have had to pass through personally throughout those 10 years.  It was a very enlightening run.

Throughout the day, I came and went with class reunion events.  By 11 AM that Saturday morning, we had a cash offer on our property.  To some this may seem insignificant, but in this housing market, in my hometown, and considering we had been trying to sale for 2 years, IT is very significant.  Flash forward 2 weeks and we are now under signed contract for that offer and are expected to close on August 14.  We truly feel blessed.  We know that Heavenly Father has been watching out for us and that this sale was supposed to happen right now at this time.

In between my comings and goings, I was able to go to the motel swimming pool with RJ and Dale for some quality family time and a break from the heat.  I was proud of RJ.  He has been super paranoid the past few years of water.  We have had the kiddy pools at home and he would occasionally put his feet in them if we were lucky.  So, this was RJ's first "big" pool.  He LOVED it.  They had these steps leading into it and the shallow end was 3 feet, so he was more than able to stand in it.  We had a blast.  There was a ball in there so we played catch and just splashed around.  Sadly, this is the only picture from the entire Lamar stay.
The next day, Sunday, I woke up early to go to early morning breakfast with my best friends and "sister" Mary and her dad (my adopted dad).  Feel free to judge me for going out on a Sunday if you wish.  It was an enjoyable time for us.  Though Mary and I have seen each other quite a bit since high school, it is still awesome to be able to spend quality time with her, which was one of the coolest parts of the class reunion for me.  After that, we went to church in my home ward and I was able to see the people that were still there from when I was living there.  The ward has changed SO much and in some ways, it made me sad that I didn't know that many people and in other ways, I was thrilled that they have so many new members.

From Lamar, we jumped in the car and headed to Canon City.

No comments:

Post a Comment