Monday, August 27, 2012

Food for Thought-Faith

The last few days I have been thinking A LOT about the whole faith vs. fear argument/debate again.  This is nothing new for me.  Most days it is a constant internal debate going on in my head...the one side debating "Just do it.  or Just trust me." Or whatever the situation is.  Then the other side chimes in "You can't do that; or what if this happens; or what if you get hurt; or whatever."  It is constantly there in my life in some form.  Part of this most recent reflection is due to recent conversations that I have had while running with one of my friends, but mostly this battle is just so ingrained into my system, that it is just life.

Anyway, I must have been needing uplifting and encouraging reminders again because our ward bulletin at church yesterday had a very good quote on this topic.  Then last night, a friend posted a Mormon Message on Facebook that really touched me. 

To begin, I am going to type a couple quotes that I KNOW I have shared before, but I am just keeping my "list" updated and current.

The first is one I do not know who it is by. "Fear is one of the most powerful and common human emotions.  But it is the opposite of faith.  Faith in Jesus Christ gives us strength to face and conquer the challenges life brings.  Having faith in Jesus Christ means relying completely on Him...Knowing that even though you do not understand all things, He does."

The next is by President Gordon B. Hinkley: "In my 90 plus years, I have learned a secret.  I have learned that when good mean and good women face challenges with optimism, things will always work out! Truly things always work out!  Despite how difficult circumstances may look at the moment, those who have faith and move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out."

The next one is the one from church yesterday.  It is by Elder Rex D. Pinegar: " Do not fear the challenges of life, but approach them patiently, with faith in God.  He will reward your faith with power not only to endure, but also to overcome hardships, disappointments, trials, and struggles of daily living.  Through diligently striving to live the law of God and with faith in Him, we will not be diverted from our eternal course either by the ways or the praise of the world."

Finally, the Mormon Message video that my friend shared.  I had seen clips and portions of this particular video before, but either I have not seen the entire video or I just was never "tuned in" enough to catch the quote by Elder Jeffery Holland at the very end.  Here is the link to the video.  It is a very inspirational video about a husband and a wife that survived a plane crash.  She was badly badly burned and has had to rethink and relearn the way she does most daily activities in the caring of her children.  If you have time, watch the entire 8 minute video.  If not, the above statements is the basic overview/summary of the video.  At the very end, Elder Holland comes on with the following quote.  I looked it up online, and I am typing more than what is stated in the video.

Elder Holland says, "Whenever these moments of our extremity come, we must not succumb to the fear that God has abandoned us. ...We must continue to believe, continue to have faith, continue to pray, and plead with heaven even if we feel for a time out prayers are not heard and that God has somehow gone away.  He is there.  Our prayers are heard, and when we weep, He and the angels of heaven weep with us. ...
(From the video now.) "When suffering, we may in fact be nearer to God than we have ever been in our entire lives.  That knowledge can turn every such situation into a would-be temple.  Regarding our Earthly journey, the Lord has promised, 'I will go before your face.  I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.' (Doctrine and Covenants 84:88)
"That is an everlasting declaration of God's love and care for us, including-and perhaps especially-in times of trouble."  (Taken from "Lessons from Liberty Jail," September 2009 Ensign-great talk, by the way...another recommended read)

I have just loved these quotes and I continually finding myself repeating them or portions of them throughout my day. 

So, food for your thoughts. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment