A friend of mine in his recent blog post defined "goals" as something that needs to be measurable and attainable. I actually agree with this. To use his examples: Goal: "I want to lose 50 pounds this year." Focus: "I want to lose weight." I like and agree with this definition because it puts accountability on the goal setter. Regardless what one might do at the being of the year (i.e. setting goals, making resolutions, making focus areas), writing them down is an important facet. I usually only write mine in my journal, but for whatever reason, I feel like writing them here to this year.--The reason probably stems from me not really caring what people think of me.
Yesterday at church, our two bishopric counselors spoke to us. One of them spoke on the importance of being true to your name as well as being a disciple of Christ. The other counselor spoke primarily on setting goals. (I know I will slaughter this, so any of you fellow Rigby 8ers, don't judge me). He mentioned that we should set individual, family, social, spiritual, and physical--or something along those lines. I think dividing goals into these categories is a good idea, but again, everyone will have to go with what works for them. However, by dividing goals into these categories, it is easy to incorporate being a better disciple of Christ into your goal setting.
So, that being said, here are a few of my goals or focuses for the year. I still have some that are too personal to share, but here are the ones that I want to share. I have attempted to divide them into the above mentioned categories, but sometimes they are overlapped.
PHYSICAL
-I have reached the tail end/goal weight of my weight loss journey. This year, my goal in the fitness category is to maintain my goal weight. This will be accomplished by watching (not counting calories) what I eat as well as portion sizes, running regularly, and continuing with my Jillian torture workouts.
-I want to run a 10k race and/or half marathon. The above focus will help me to train and accomplish this.
-Continue with my 515 AM wake-up routine. This allows me to complete the above mentioned tasks.
SPIRITUAL
-I want to become closer to my Savior. I believe that to fully accomplish this goal, it is a life-long journey and commitment. Specifically, I need to work on having meaningful prayers, scripture study, and Temple attendance. Praying is something I have always struggled with, so I know that it will take hard work for me to learn, grow, and improve. This past year, I "mastered" a scripture study technique. This does not mean that I don't have anything to learn, quite the contrary. BUT I finally have a technique that works for me when I study the scriptures.
-Attend the temple 1-2 times a month with purpose and meaning. (Side note, I am willing to trade baby-sitting.)
-Continue with scripture study 20-30 minutes a day.
-Continue with my 515 wake up routine. This allows me to complete the previous 2 categories.
FAMILY
-Dale and I want to become better at family scripture time.
-Spend more time doing meaningful family activities that do not include the iPad, iPhone, TV, computer, or other electronic devices.
-2011 was financially a struggle for us. We had several unexpected bills...mostly medical. We have emergency savings (thankfully) for this, but we have had to fight to replenish that savings. So, for 2012, we have to goal to get back on top of our finances and save more. We will accomplish this by strictly obeying our budget and putting the excess into savings.
INDIVIDUAL
-Manage my time more effectively and efficiently. I am pretty good at this generally, BUT I have a tendency to be single minded. For example, if I get to sewing, I sew..nothing else gets done (cleaning, cooking, caring for RJ, etc). By implementing this goal, I will allow myself time to accomplish the things that I need to do and want to do.
-Take time every day to do something for myself that is not spiritual or physical goals. I want to make a phone call to a friend, try a new recipe, read a good book, take a nap, etc.
-Get a part-time job. I want to still be home with RJ, so it will be a work at home job. I have always been independent and self-sufficient so these past 4 years of not working have been TORTURE for me and by far the HARDEST ever. I AM selling blankets on the side, but it is nothing that will really bring in income, but it at least pays for itself. By getting a part-time job, I will be able to easier support my hobbies and contribute to our family goal of saving more since we don't need a secondary income for personal living.
-Save $5.00 challenge. This is a "fun" one. This challenge was issued to me by a college friend. The idea is to take every $5 bill you receive throughout the year and save it. Put it in an envelope, a piggy bank, a jar, under your mattress, anywhere where you know where it is but can't spend it. You can't cheat and trade in the $5.00 bill for 1s. At the end of the year, surprise yourself with the amount that you have saved. Even though this a "fun" goal, it is probably the most challenging for me. I am saver by nature, but if I have cash, I will spend it. So it will be interesting for me. I have saved my first one today :)
SOCIAL
-Once one gets to know me, I am a social person, BUT I tend to "hide" behind technology. I use Facebook, texting, my blogs, etc to communicate with others. T believe these methods are great and they have allowed me to reconnect with many family and friends. However, they dominate my communication. This year my goal is to become more personable in my communication. I want to write a letter, make a phone call, go to lunch with a friend, etc. You get the idea...be more HUMAN.
So those are a few of my goals for 2012. If you know me and talk to me, you are welcome to keep me on my toes and hold me accountable for these. I hope you all have a great new year!
No comments:
Post a Comment