Friday, October 21, 2011

RJ's "first" prayer

So, my October posts are going to be out of order too, but I really wanted to record this post before I forgot.

Dale and I have been working a LONG time on prayers with RJ. When Dale says bedtime prayer, RJ might repeat a word or two here and there. When I say the bedtime prayer, RJ will usually repeat a phrase or two here and there. Well, tonight Dale is gone hunting. RJ announces, "I want to go to bed." I was like OK. This NEVER happens at our house, but I didn't argue. We went to his bedroom and knelt to pray.

Here is what happened. I hope it isn't irreverent to post it..hmmm...I really don't know. Oh well. (The pauses are where he usually repeats.)

Me: "Dear Heavenly Father" (pause) "Thank Thee for this day" (pause) "Thank Thee for the Church" (pause) "Thank Thee for our family" (pause) To this point RJ had said nothing.
...Then...
RJ: Thank Thee for this day. Thank Thee for blessings. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

That was our prayer tonight. It was RJ's "first" prayer on his own. Short. Sweet. Simple. I was happy. I am sure our Savior and Heavenly Father are happy with a sincere child's "first" prayer too.

1 comment: