Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Our proposal Story

Ok, so at the request of a couple friends, here is the whole story of Dale's proposal to me 4 years ago today.

First, as a precursor, I knew we were going to get engaged, it was just a matter of when and how.

Well, he actually started the proposal the evening before. We had had a movie night or dinner or something. Anyway, he was leaving my apartment but he kept telling me to get a good night sleep or that he hopes I sleep well. It was odd and I kept telling him that I was sure that I would sleep just fine. So, he left, and I went to bed.

As I lay down, I felt something under my pillow. It was a card and note, attached to a glow stick (light to read the note with). I don't recall exactly what it said, but more or less--the front said WILL YOU....(turn over) then a bunch of gibberish about sleeping well and having a good day the next day etc. So, then, of course, I knew that the proposal was coming and I didn't sleep well. --He was mean--The next morning I went to work and to get groceries..everything that I normally did. In the afternoon, my old roomie Celeste calls me and asks me if I wanted to hang out with her. I said yes as long as we weren't gone too long cuz Dale and I were supposed to be going to Cheyenne. So, she kidnapped me and we went to play pool and hang. An hour or so later, Dale calls and says that he got off work early and was ready to leave if I was. I told him sure but I was with Celeste and that I just needed to run home to change clothes.

Here is the fun part--Celeste drops me off, I run in and my current roomie Renee was sitting there and I rush past her to my room. The door was closed on my room. Hanging on the door was a note, scissors, and a tack. Now, picture oblivious me in a hurry. I open the door, ignoring the note and stuff. My room had been strung up with yarn in a true "spider-web" fashion. Again, I am stupid. Anyway, my brain is on getting changed and getting to Dale's. So, I start weaving, twisting and climbing my way over, trough, and around yarn to get to my dresser on the other side of the room. Then I do the same thing back across the room to the closet. The closet doors are closed. (I was a slob...my doors were always open)--Should have been my second clue something was amiss, but no--I am oblivious. Open the doors to get a shirt out, and I am bombarded with balloons. So, I grab a shirt, and change clothes (yes, I have a single-track mind).

Finally, though, it dawns on me that I should read the note that was on the bedroom door..Again, I don't remember what it said, something about using the scissors to cut the string to find my next surprise (the balloons) then using the tack to pop only the "blue" balloons...Don't remember which color really...but to pop the balloons to find the next clue. I didn't use the tack...I am very much a dork sometimes. So, I leave the note and start popping the balloons with my finger nails.

By this time, Renee is just laughing her head off. Anyway, in the balloons was a clue about driving to Dale's and finding my next surprise. So, I throw on flip-flops (favorite shoes), and drive off. I get to Dale's and his door is open but he is not visually present. In his house, were 2 dozen flowers...really pretty spring flowers and colors with another note telling me that I should have hiking shoes and my coat (the mountains still had snow). So, then Dale comes into the room and we go back to my apartment so I could get shoes and my coat. Then we drive to the mountains and hike one of our favorite trails and then he proposes by this waterfall (still frozen over). But he only has a ring pop. Of course I said yes, so we hiked out, drove to Cheyenne, picked up the real ring and went out to eat.

He was trying to be sneaky and pull "pranks" because he knew that I knew he was going to propose, so he was trying to keep me on my toes. For the most part it worked, but I was so oblivious that most of the stuff, I just didn't pay attention to--like the scissors, note, tack, etc...Anyway, there ya go..the reason why I love April Fool's day--By the way, my old roomie and current roomie were in on the scheme from the beginning. Dale had enlisted them.

So, there is our rather lengthy, proposal story...Sorry, I don't have any pictures readily available to post with it.

2 comments:

  1. That is such an awsome proposal story! No wonder why you love April Fools Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that is so super cute. I love that you were totally oblivous to the clues and the "pranks"--one track mind set on your man!

    ReplyDelete