Then on Tuesday and Wednesday the rat race continued. I had to be back in Idaho Falls on both mornings for different appointments. The Wednesday appointment was for RJ. We were meeting with the specialist from Rocky Mountain Artificial Limb and Brace. This meeting was for an initial consult on little RJ's head. At that point, Dale and I had still not decided whether we were going to move forward with the helmet. So, I met with the orthotist (by the way, I love that word!) and we took measurements of our boy's head. We then discussed finances and cost. Oh wow! As one can imagine, like any medical cost, it is not cheap! Then come to find out, our stupid insurance is mostly likely not going to cover any of it. Ugh! I mean come on, what is the point of having insurance? This experience only continued to confirm to me that our insurance stinks. So, I left the clinic feeling quite frustrated and not really knowing what to do. I mean, we all want the best for our kids, right?
Later on Wednesday afternoon and evening, I went visit teaching to a couple of my people with my companion. It was great to just get out and not worry about my stuff. It was good to talk about anything but medical stuff. Great times.
Finally, Thursday arrived. I was so excited for this day because I had nothing planned. I did not have to go to Rexburg or Idaho Falls. I did not even drive into Rigby. WooHoo! I was so excited to spend a somewhat relaxing day at home. RJ likes spending time at home too because he can roll around and play or sit in his walker. Needless to say, we were both happy even though I was still quite stressed from my week and trying to make a decision about RJ's head. I decided that I needed help with this. I just did not know enough to make an informed decision. So, I called RJ's pediatrician again and discussed my concerns. The nurse at the office was very helpful and called the orthotist to discuss their findings and measurements. So, come to find out there is an index that is used to determine the severity of head deformation. I do not recall the actual range, but it starts with 0 and goes up. 0, of course, having no deformation. The high is either in the 20s or low 30s--that is the part I do not recall. Well, after discussing this range with the nurse, I had pretty much decided that we were going to move forward with getting the helmet for our boy. He was "indexed" at 18, which is pretty severe, and there probably would not be too much of a chance for his head to correct itself like most babies' heads do. So, I call Dale on his lunch and we discussed this, and I then called the brace place back for an appointment for casting.
Thursday night arrived. It was the stake Relief Society Enrichment night. I had been trying to decide for a week if I should go or not. Those who know me, know that I am not big on Relief Society stuff at church. It is not because I don't like Relief Society; it is because I have never really been a part of Relief Society--I have more or less been serving in the Primary since I was 17. Anyway, on top of that, I have a horrible memory and usually forget about Relief Society stuff. I also refuse to go if I have to take RJ with me because he is way too fussy at night, so Dale's work schedule always plays a huge impact on whether I can make it to evening events. Well, the appointed time to leave came, and I decided rather in hurry that I was going to go. It was a great decision! The message I got from all the speakers that evening (probably the same as most peoples) was that we are daughters of Heavenly Father and He loves us, knows us, and wants to help us. Furthermore, I took away from it that in order for Him to help us, we need to ask Him, trust Him, and allow Him into our lives by allowing Him to be in control (so to speak--can't decide what word to use). Anyway, the evening helped me relieve my stress and I was relaxed for the first time all week. Again, great decision to go! I am still sad that I could not hang around for refreshments and visits...bummer.
Friday happened without too much incident. I just did normal household stuff. I cleaned a little, did laundry (yuck), played with RJ, etc. Friday night Dale and I went grocery shopping--I know not too exciting, but one of the few things we get to do together. Dale mentioned that his throat was getting sore and he thought that he was getting sick. Needless to say, I am not too supportive. Being a teacher, he is around sick kids all day almost everyday, and he usually never is sick when he says he is. So, being the great wife and person that I am, I pass it off and tell him some lame comment like "that's nice" or something.
Saturday rolls around. Dale is off to ice fish with the Elders Quorum and people from Church. See, I knew he wasn't sick. Haha...he was very sick and probably should not have gone. Anyway, he had a fun time and brought home 2 fish. The rest of the day was very uneventful and relaxing.
Sunday comes. I like Sundays. They are always my most relaxing day. Dale woke up very fatigued and sore. He hurt whenever he coughed or would take a breathe. He decided to stay home from Church. He wanted sleep and he didn't want to get any of our primary kids sick, so you Mom's (Niki..hehe) can thank us (just kidding)...Anyway, I have to give great credit to RJ. He sat and played all by himself all through church. I was busy with the little ones I was teaching and little RJ just got left to do his own whim. What a good baby! He never fussed once.
Monday morning comes. Dale called in sick. This was a first for him. He will not hesitate to take days off for hunting or things like that, but this is the first time that he called in sick and was really sick. So, we head off to Idaho Falls, again. Dale had to drop off stuff for his substitute at the school. I then dropped him off at the doctor's office and RJ went to our appointment with the orthotist at the brace place. What a fun experience! RJ as usual was in a great mood. He sat on my lap the entire time trying to eat the plastic paper sheet thing that was covering my clothes. We started off with this cotton gauze stuff to cover his shoulders and head to keep the actual plaster off. (Sorry I am not a doctor nor claim to be, so medical terms do not apply). He looked so cute! I wish I had a camera, and, no, I am not fancy enough to have a camera phone. Anyway, he looked like Marvin the Martian. Then we moved on to the plaster cast. He was so good for the first 2 pieces, which were for the back. Then the specialist moved to the top/front part. RJ hated this! Oh my goodness, how he fussed! Finally the ordeal was over and we met up with Dale. Come to find out, Dale truely was sick. I felt bad for not being very supportive. He had Type A Influenza.
Monday afternoon arrives. I decided to avoid Dale, not for my sake but for RJ's. I did not want him getting the flu. So, we went over to Emily's to visit and play with Sydney and Treyson. It was so much fun. Treyson is almost 2 months and pretty much slept the entire time, but he was so adorable! He woke up and we took pictures with him and RJ.
I must give credit to Emily for this picture. I do not have my photos yet. So, I used hers. Aren't they so cute? They pretty much did their own thing. RJ is actively teething so all he cares about is whatever he can put into his mouth. Treyson just was smiling and "talking". Oh, what fun!
Tuesday comes around. Dale is still home sick. By now I have cleaned the entire house and have disinfected everything. Dale, unfortunately, is confined or condemned to the basement. I would not let him upstairs unless he disinfected everything he touched or came in contact with. I know, I am a horrible wife and I really do love Dale. Again, I just did not want RJ catching the flu.
Yesterday, Dale returned to work and my life returned to somewhat normal. Dale did return to the doctor yesterday after work because his cough was getting worse. He now has an inhaler and antibiotics, so we are on our way to kicking this sickness out the door. After my busy week last week, I am trying hard not to complain about staying home all day. I decided last week that little outings are fine, but I am so grateful that I don't have to drive to Rexburg or Idaho Falls everyday.
So, anyway, that is our week in review. Totally informative and completely ranting on my part, but hey, it's my blog; I can do that.
What a week you've had. I'm glad you got to go to enrichment and slow down for a minute or two...it really was amazing! Glad your hubby is getting better. Good luck with R.J. If you ever need to get away, I'm usually home all day too. You should come hang out.
ReplyDeletewow! I thought i had it bad driving 5 minutes to dance. hope RJ is ok!
ReplyDeleteJenn...Breleigh had a helmet when she was 4-6 months old and it is the best thing we ever did. If you want to talk about it, I would love to talk to you. I wrote letters to the insurance and even got them to pay for it. I would be happy to help you with that, too. Anyway, I just read your blog and thought that I may be able to help because it is stressful not knowing what is going to happen.
ReplyDelete