Some of you may have heard through facebook or other means, but I have a new latest and greatest hobby/goal. I am riding in a 30-mile charity bike race coming up this Saturday, July 17th. I used to bike all the time at home and around town in college. I also used to mountain bike all the time in college. However, I have not done much biking in the 3 years since we moved to Idaho. In fact, my bike has been hanging on the same bike hook in the garage for 3 years.
Here is how it started. During June when I was on vacation, I had a group of friends that ran a marathon. They had been training and working towards that goal for a LONG time. Anyway, one of my friends, Kim, injured her knee during it. Yes, she finished; she is AMAZING!! Anyway, she needed to give her knee a rest and give it a chance to heal. She has not been running, so she decided to bike. She somehow came across this race. She posted a note on dailymile.com, the site we all use to track our training, asking if anyone wanted to ride with her in this race. I don't know if it was wise or not, but I jumped at the opportunity. I committed to ride with her.
Yes, after 3 years of not being on a bike, I gave myself 2 weeks to "train" for a 30-mile ride. Maybe, I am crazy. Anyway, I have greatly enjoyed biking again. The furthest that I have ridden in the last 2 weeks is 20 miles. I rode that solo. So, I have no doubt that with the companionship of a great friend, both she and I will conquer this 30-mile race. I will let ya know how it goes.
No comments:
Post a Comment