Monday, December 5, 2011

More Favorite Quotes

I don't think that I will ever get tired of posting favorite quotes that I come across. I think that I should start titling my quote posts, "Quote Set 1, Quote Set 2, ect." I think that there will be a lot of them from here on out. The disadvantage of titling them in that fashion is that I have had at least 2 posts so far (that I remember) and I don't really want to go back and change them.

Anyway, I come across quotes or sayings at very random times. If they mean something to me, I post them here and mark them in the book or wherever I find them. At the very least, I add them to a notes page on my phone. If they are significant to me or just hit home so to speak, they get posted here, in my phone, in the book or wherever I find them, AND in my private journal.

The first one for the day is one of those random instances. I came across it in the Deseret Book ad that just came in the mail today. It is a wall hanging that says, "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."

The next few are all by Helen Keller. Remember her? I have always admired her and her interpreter, Anne Sullivan. I have done several reports and studies on them throughout my schooling days. Anyway, I came across these quotes, ironically, not from my research, but in a book I was recently reading by Mary Ellen Edmunds. Anyway, here is what Helen Keller has to say.
"Joy is the holy fire that keeps our purpose warm and our intelligence aglow. Work without joy shall be as nothing. Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties."
"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
"Your success and happiness lie in you. External conditions are the accidents are the accidents of life, its outer trappings. The great, enduring qualities are love and service."
"I believe that love will finally establish the kingdom of God on earth, and that cornerstones of that kingdom will be liberty, truth, brotherhood, and service."
"Keep your face to the sunshine and you cannot see the shadow."

And finally a scripture I recently came across. Doctrine and Covenants 24:8, "Be patient in afflictions, for thou shalt have many; but endure them, for lo, I am with thee, even unto the end of thy days."

All of these are just food for thought. I could spend another hour (minimum) typing and attempting to put into words what these quotes mean to me and why I find them significant, but I will end that I find them all happy and uplifting and great words to live by.

No comments:

Post a Comment