Saturday, February 6, 2010

Knees, Knees, and more Knees...

Ok, as I have mentioned on previous blog posts, I have started jogging again. I really do enjoy it. I spend about 45 minutes total on the treadmill (so far) between my warm up, run, and cool down. Then I spend an additional 20 minutes or so stretching and stuff. Anyway, as mentioned, I love it! It is my hour or so a day that I can completely forget about everything around me (RJ is napping) and it has come to be my release. I listen to tunes and do alot of contemplating. I have enjoyed getting back in touch with this side of me and having a "release" again.

So, just a brief background. I ran in high school track for 1 year. I wanted to do more but that is all my work and college class load would allow...(yes, I was in college in high school). Anyway I loved being in track. Everyday during practice, we would run a half mile warm up and half mile cool down with stretching at both ends. Then in the in between time, we would do whatever practice that fit our event. So after practice, I would go to work. I would get home from work and cook dinner, do homework, do any school or church activities, or whatever the drill was for the particular night. When everything was finally done, usually 9 or 10 at night, I would go run an additional mile or so. Again, it was my release. I needed the time alone and I enjoyed letting go of all the stress or cares for a few minutes. So basically, on any given day, I would run 2-5 miles depending on practice. So-now to the post title...

I would do all that, plus work and school mind you, AND NEVER hurt!! I just don't get it. My KNEES are killing ME!

I am not sure why. I am not sure if I am just that out of shape; or I am pushing myself TOO hard; or if my shoes are wrong; or if it is the treadmill itself; or if I am just getting old; or what?! I have NO idea! If my thighs or calves were hurting, I would not even be concerned. This is just weird. The ache doesn't go away either.

Anyway, I just had to vent about my knees. Any suggestions? I just play everyday by ear. So far they have not affected my runs. I still am slowly increasing my distance (and stamina) and I love it! Right now, though, my fear is that I may have to quit just because of my knees! Ahhh! grr...

2 comments:

  1. Ice. 20 minutes. The cold constricts your blood vessels and reduces the swelling.

    Check your shoes. Are they new? Need an insert?

    Good luck... I hope you're able to keep running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep working on those lunges. If your shoes are old they are probably another contributor. When you feel ready we need to get together and go running.

    ReplyDelete