**Warning: Potty language will be used.. :-p
Yup, the never-ending, always failing attempt to get a 2 1/2 year-old to potty train. I admit, I probably want it more than him as I don't want 2 kids in diapers. I especially don't want to BUY diapers for two kids.
Here is what I have been doing so far. At diaper change times, I have RJ sit on the toilet. He will go pee. He will NEVER go poo no matter how often I ask him or how long I let him sit there. Here is what RJ has been doing. He will go pee on the potty if he is sitting there. He will come and tell me AFTER he goes poo in his diaper. Probably one of his favorite phrases is "Stinky! Eww! Isgusting (disgusting)!" He will SCREAM literally bloody murder if he sees underwear or if we put them on him. He NEVER goes poo at the same time...EVER.
I know I can't force him to potty train, but I am frustrated. I want to put him in preschool this fall, but I know I can't unless he is potty trained. Again, I don't want to BUY diapers for 2 children. I don't want to have to constantly CHANGE diapers for 2 children. Lastly, I think that RJ will be HAPPIER if he is potty trained.
Ok, I know that there was A LOT of selfish reason there, but I truly am ready.
Any one of you 5 readers out there have any helps or suggestions? or Am I just stuck waiting until RJ is ready?
Thanks for listening. :-)
I hated potty-training. Seriously, hated. I am dreading getting started with Chase, but I know I need to get started at least with the pre-potty training process (talking about it, stories, etc.). Here is my opinion: I think if he can recognize when he goes poop and come and tell you, then he is ready to potty-train. Also, I think the best way to do it is jump in and not look back. When we potty-trained Spencer, we put him in underwear or nothing and just went about the day. Its easier if you can stay home as much as possible. I had him sit on the potty regularly, even when he said he didn't need to go. We would read stories while he sat there for a couple of minutes. Be prepared for a lot of accidents and messy cleanups, but I think it works. Spencer was potty-trained, mostly in a week, but by about 3 weeks we rarely, if ever, had an accident. I think the most important thing is to be PATIENT! It was so hard for me to not get frustrated and overwhelmed. Good luck! Let me know if you find a magic trick that makes it easier! :)
ReplyDeletePotty Training is my least favorite thing of all time. Unfortunately you can't force it. They will go when they are ready. It sucks but the fact that you have him going pee on a regular basis is actually quite promising. Maybe let him pick out some underwear at the store. Then it is his decision. Sorry I am not much help. We have tried and failed twice now with Taegen more because I am lazy than anything.
ReplyDelete