Monday, June 22, 2009

Vacation Highlights

So, the purpose of this post is two fold and the purposes go hand in hand. One purpose is to update the blogging world on our recent vacation and the second purpose is to update on how much RJ has changed in the past 3 weeks.

Our vacation started out by travelling out to Cheyenne to spend some time with my in-laws. We had a fun couple days or so with them. Dale's father took a day off work so it was awesome to get to spend some time with him for a change. We spent the days going to garage sales, playing games, hanging out, and we even went mini golfing...Overall, not too exciting, but we got to spend tons of quality time as family and that is what is important. RJ even got excited about mini golfing....:)After our couple days spent in Cheyenne, we set out on our really long and really boring drive towards Oklahoma. Now, I must say that one of my intentions during this road trip was to get RJ's picture at the state signs that way I could post them to help the story flow. Well, the best laid plans are meant to be broken. Across the 5 state lines we traveled, the boy managed to be asleep at every one of them. Well, I am a smart mom, so I know better than to wake him up just for a picture. So, we do not have those fun story telling photos.

So, to continue. The day that we left Cheyenne, we traveled across Nebraska. I am from a farming community so I have a lot of respect for farmers and ranchers, and I can find beauty in a freshly plowed or planted field. However, after 300 or 400 miles of it, I admit...I was bored! So, we reached Salina, KS late that afternoon. This was our stop of the day. Dale has a friend that lives there and he wanted to see this friend (I will call Bob for this blog purpose). We went to our hotel and unloaded then went to Bob's house. He lives in the historic part of town where all the old mansion houses are located. I will conclude this day by saying: What a gorgeous home Bob had! I was so jealous. I loved it!

So the next day we finished up the drive across Kansas. Dale managed most of this drive and RJ slept. I finished out the drive and we arrived in Grove, OK about 1:30 or so. We went and had lunch and then went to my Grandma's house. There we just spent a relaxing afternoon playing with RJ and visiting.

We were in Oklahoma 3 days. All three days Dale was out on the boat with my Uncle fishing in the mornings. In the afternoons, I would leave RJ with my Grandma and my Aunt and I would head out on the boat as well. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable time boating and fishing for three days. Oh and I might mention that we dodged rain storms all 3 days and 1 tornado on one day. RJ managed to have fun too. He got to sit on the boat while at the dock and he received this really cool wiggle worm toy my Uncle made for him. The following are a few of my favorite pictures from Oklahoma.

So, on the 8th day of our trip, we loaded up and left Oklahoma. We started the (again) insanely long trip back across Kansas. My statement for Nebraska applies here--I love farms, but 400 miles of them are boring! One of the saddest but most fascinating experiences of this drive was getting to go through Greensburg, KS. For those of you who don't know, this town was completely wiped out by a tornado in 2007. Now, two years later, the people are trying to rebuild. The highway is now open so we were able to drive through it at least. However, there is not much there. All the trees are green once again, but they still bear the marks of being badly beaten. The main street of the town is still non-existent. They have 2 or 3 buildings rebuilt. Anyway, if you live in tornado country long enough, you come to respect and sometimes fear (or not) tornadoes. I have seen my share of tornadoes but mostly I have seen funnel clouds. The destruction of this town was more than I have seen by any other tornado. Well, the day ended by us arriving in Lamar, CO, my hometown.

For the first time in my life, I stayed at a hotel in Lamar. I never thought that I would see that day. Anyway, it was very uneventful. We went out that night to eat with really close family friends and then on Sunday morning, we went to Church to see people from my home ward. A lot of people were gone for vacations, but we were so happy to see everyone that was there. After sacrament meeting, we left to head to Canon City, CO to visit my other Grandma. This drive was only 2 1/2 hours. What a relief! Sunday afternoon, my grandma had organized a family picnic with the Adams side at the Duck Park (named by me because of the Duck Pond). Anyway, so many of the family came, but I did not know very of them anymore, so it was good to see everyone. (Note: I am waiting for pictures from this to post.)

Monday (our 10th day on the road) we spent a relaxing day at Grandma's house. I sorted through her old cake decorating stuff from her bakery and Dale slept. That afternoon when my Aunt got off work, we headed up to the Rupp Ranch west of Canon City to visit some of that side of the family and have a picnic dinner. For me, the Rupp Ranch is a very special place. I have not been there for probably 13 or 14 years, but the memories are significant. I was raised hearing the stories of my mom and Grandpa driving cattle with my Great Grandpa across the ranch. I heard the stories of the one room school house. Oh the stories go on! It was wonderful to be back there. It is also where my Grandpa's ashes are scattered. Again, we had a great time and it was fun seeing family that I had not seen in awhile.

Tuesday, our final day in Canon City, we just spent relaxing. We went and looked at my aunt's new house and just rested. It was nice. I do have more pictures of this portion of our trip, but I do not have them yet...

So, Wednesday morning (day 12) we loaded up the car and took another walk around with Grandma and we headed back to Cheyenne. We only stayed in Cheyenne over night this time. On Thursday morning (day 13) we loaded everything up (again) and started the long boring trip home. After a long day of fighting rain, road construction, and stupid drivers, we made it home. It was a wonderful feeling to be home again.

Friday, our first day home, was spent doing laundry and trying to semi organize the house again. I took RJ into town for a helmet check-up. Everything is fine and we get to have another measurement check in a week.

Ok, so that was really long, but finally, the most exciting part of the blog. The update on how RJ has changed. Our little man has grown so much the 2 weeks that we were gone. He now has 3 bottom teeth, 4 top teeth, he eats anything we hand him (dangerous I know), and the most exciting---he is walking!!! Now, granted, it is only 3 or 4 steps at a time, but it is so awesome and cute. He took his first steps at my grandma's in Oklahoma. It was wonderful that she was able to be a part of that awesome experience.


Well, that is the update on the events at the Walker household. We had fun while away, but we are happy to be home once again. We look forward to the adventures of the rest of the summer.

1 comment:

  1. loved reading about your trip, sounds like fun. It is good to reconnect with old friends and family! We are glad to have you back and to see your smiling face in church!

    ReplyDelete